Effective Date: September 15, 2018
What Information is Collected?
Information Collected Automatically
We use tracking technologies such as cookies, log files, and pixel tags to automatically collect information when users visit our System. Our lawful basis for collection of this data is our legitimate interest in completing your requests and maintaining a functional System. Information we collect includes but may not be limited to:
IP address and location to measure our website traffic and to help provide a more personalized experience;
- Information regarding your browser and other technical specifications required to use our System;
- Your transaction history relating to the use of our products and services;
- Computer data or files, often called “cookies,” which may be sent by your web browser and stored on an individual computer to allow our server to “recognize” you through the navigation of the Site, and for us to credit your account for various online transactions; and
- Computer data files, often called “web beacons” that are collected from emails or links on third-party sites that allow our server to evaluate the popularity of those links or the information contained in emails or on third-party sites.
For more information, see the “Cookies and Similar Technologies” section below.
Information Collected Directly from You
We may collect personal information about you in connection with your use of our system. For example, this information may be voluntarily provided when you sign up for a mailing list, register an account, fill out a “Contact Us” or a Sample Request form, submit information in connection with a purchase or as part of other online services, or register for an event. The information collected may include your name, email address, phone number, and physical address. Our lawful bases to collect this information includes fulfilling a contract with you and to respond to your inquiries, Fiberstar’s legitimate interests, and/or your consent.
The information we may collect includes, but may not be limited to:
- Email address, phone number, mailing address, and other contact information;
- Financial information necessary to process a purchase or other request;
- Business affiliations and employment position information;
- Applications of interest and requested products;
- For distributors, name, contact information, and password to create an account through the System; and
- Other information related to your requests or inquiries.
Collecting Information from Children Under the Age of 16
Our Site and System are not designed for children, and we do not knowingly collect information from any person under the age of 16.
How Is the Information We Collect Used?
We collect information about you in order to provide you with services and products, and also to collect information that is necessary for the System to work properly. We use personal information for a variety of purposes related to our business, including but not limited to:
- Providing services and support
Performing the essential functions of the System including responding to inquiries, fulfilling orders and requests, including sample requests, processing payments, providing support and troubleshooting, and communicating with users about their use of the System or regarding a user initiated inquiry on the System.
Further, Fiberstar inputs data collected from sample request modules into a Management Information System customer relationship management system in order to manage purchase orders, ship products, track order sales, and volume and manage sales opportunities.
- Communicating with users about products or services
Sending or initiating direct marketing programs, such as newsletters or information about new products or services we are offering; using content from social media platforms where users discuss our products or use a hashtag related to our products; and following up in response to inquiries.
- Personalizing user experiences on our System
Tailoring content on the System based on user location, preferences, and other personalization factors.
- Analytics and System improvement
Tracking information about your visits to our Site or use of the System to allow us to provide better service; using certain online preferences in the aggregate across all users to evaluate the System and develop additional products and services to offer.
- Compliance with legal obligations
Sharing information to comply with the law or a legal proceeding, such as in response to a subpoena or court order.
Disclosure of Information
We may share information, in the aggregate, regarding your online browsing preferences to evaluate our products or allow the third parties we work with to better serve our users. We will not share your information with third parties to directly market their products to you.
We may provide user information to third-party service providers or vendors for purposes including but not limited to:
- Initiating direct marketing programs on our behalf;
- Data tracking;
- Maintenance or development of our System;
- Development of our web design, online products, services, or customer service, or new product development;
- Other contracted promotional opportunities provided to our users.
We may also share personal information with Fiberstar distributors regarding your requests and to provide specific services to you. We may also share this information with any subsidiaries, distributors, licensees, suppliers, affiliates, assigns, successors, or other related entities and their respective owners.
We may also share your personal information in connection with law enforcement requests or in response to investigations, subpoenas, court orders, or other legal processes to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims, or as otherwise required by law.
We may also disclose your information to a third party as part of reorganization or a sale of the assets of Fiberstar or its subsidiaries or divisions. Any third party to which Fiberstar transfers or sells the System or related assets will have the right to continue to use the personal and other information that you provide to us.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
Cookies are small data files that help us keep track of your usage of the System. Many of the cookies we use enable the System to function as you would expect it to. Cookies enable the System to remember things, like your login information so you do not have to re-enter it, items in your shopping cart when you navigate away from the page, user preferences, and other personalized settings. Cookies also enable us to track and analyse user behaviour in order to improve our System. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but you can choose to accept or decline certain types of cookies if you prefer. However, declining cookies may impact the functionality of the System and in some cases you may not be able to access the functions of the System. We use the following categories of cookies on the System:
- Session cookies
Session cookies are stored on the user’s hard drive temporarily and are deleted when the user ends the browsing session. Session cookies are useful for things like keepings item in a shopping cart while the user continues to browse.
- Persistent cookies
Persistent cookies stay on the user’s hard drive until they expire, even after the browser is closed. Persistent cookies are useful for remembering things like login information, so users do not have to enter their password every time they visit the System.
- Third-party cookies
Third party cookies are not installed directly by our System, but by third parties such as advertisers. Third party cookies are used to track advertising preferences from site to site, and to gather data about users’ browsing habits in order to improve the user experience.
Clear GIFs (also called pixel tags or web beacons) are small files embedded in websites that tell us what content a user accesses and how users navigate the System. Clear GIFs enable us to track and analyse user behaviour on the System in order to make it more intuitive and user friendly.
Third Party Websites and Links
We may also use third-party vendors, such as Google Analytics, to advertise to our users online. These third-party vendors may display Fiberstar product advertisements on other websites based on your internet usage. More specifically, these vendors use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytic cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to the Site or another site affiliated with Fiberstar products or services. You can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising by using Google’s Ads Settings.
We retain data collected from you only for as long as necessary to complete the purpose for which it was collected or to fulfil our legal requirements.
International Data Processing
Fiberstar is located in the United States and all data related to the System is collected and processed by Fiberstar in the U.S. If you are not located in the U.S., your personal data will therefore be transferred to, processed, and stored in a country outside of the country where you live. By submitting your personal information to us, you are consenting to the processing of your personal information in the U.S. To the extent some of our distributors need to collect and share or permit us to facilitate collection and sharing of personal data to enable our services, it is the responsibility of those distributors to comply with all relevant notice and consent requirements of any data privacy laws or regulations.
We encourage you to contact us regarding any issue or concern at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Subject Rights
European Union data subjects may have certain rights under the GDPR, including the following:
Right of Access
You may the right to access data collected about you. If you would like to know exactly what information we have collected about you and how it has been used, please contact us.
Right of Rectification
You may have a right to correct any incorrect or incomplete information we have about you. To request a correction, please contact us.
Right to Erasure
In certain circumstances, you may have the right to request that we delete your personal information. You may have the right to have your personal data erased if:
- The information is no longer necessary for the purpose we collected it;
- We relied on your consent to store your information and you choose to withdraw that consent;
- You object to us processing your data and no there is no overriding legitimate business interest;
- We are using your information to directly market to you, and you object to that use of your data;
- We have processed your data unlawfully;
- The information must be deleted to comply with a legal obligation; or
- You are under the age of 16 or were under the age of 16 when your information was collected.
Right to Restrict Processing
In certain circumstances, you may have the right to restrict the processing of your personal information. To exercise your right to restrict processing please contact us. You may have the right to restrict processing of your information if:
- You have objected to the accuracy of your information and we are in the process of verifying or correcting it;
- We have processed your data unlawfully and you would prefer that the information be restricted rather than erased;
- We are no longer using your data but you would like us to keep it in order to establish, exercise, or defend a legal claim; or
- You object to us processing your data and we are in the process of determining whether there are any overriding business interests.
Right to Data Portability
You may have the right to receive personal data we have collected from you in an accessible format. You also have the right to have the personal information we have collected from you transferred to another controller. This right only applies to information processed by automated means and therefore does not apply to paper files. To submit a request to have your information transferred, please contact us.
Right to Object
You may have the right to object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes. You may also object to the processing of your personal information for:
- Processing carried out in the public interest;
- Processing for the exercise of official authority vested in us; or
- Processing related to our legitimate interests or those of a third party.
To object to the processing of your personal data please contact us.
Rights Related to Automated Decision Making Including Profiling
You have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on an automated process (no human involvement) which produces legal effects or significantly affects you in a similar way. We will not make these types of decisions by solely automated processed. If you believe that an automated decision making process was applied to you, please contact us.
How is User Information Protected?
We maintain administrative, physical, and technical safeguards for all user information collected in our System.
Your Other Options
While we work hard to use and disclose our users’ personal information only for the purposes identified above, you can choose not to provide personal information or limit the personal information obtained by us as follows:
- You may have your contact information removed from our marketing lists to inform users of new or relevant products, services, and special offers by clicking on the unsubscribe link in any communication received from us, or by emailing us at email@example.com;
- You may limit the collection of “cookies” through your browser settings. However, this may disable our ability to provide you with the most relevant products or information regarding the System; and
- You may limit the ability of Google Analytics to track your online activity, as outlined in the “Behavioral Advertising” section.
Your California Privacy Rights
Access and Correction Rights
California Civil Code § 1798.83 permits users that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us via the Site.
Do Not Track Signals
The System does not respond to Do Not Track signals.
713 St. Croix Street,
River Falls, WI 54022